Today Bible Words
John 8 :1-20
- But Jesus went to the Mount of Olives.
- At dawn he appeared again in the temple courts, where all the people gathered around him, and he sat down to teach them.
- The teachers of the law and the Pharisees brought in a woman caught in adultery. They made her stand before the group
- And said to Jesus, "Teacher, this woman was caught in the act of adultery.
- In the Law Moses commanded us to stone such women. Now what do you say?"
- They were using this question as a trap, in order to have a basis for accusing him. But Jesus bent down and started to write on the ground with his finger.
- When they kept on questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "If any one of you is without sin, let him be the first to throw a stone at her."
- Again he stooped down and wrote on the ground.
- At this, those who heard began to go away one at a time, the older ones first, until only Jesus was left, with the woman still standing there.
- Jesus straightened up and asked her, "Woman, where are they? Has no one condemned you?"
- "No one, sir," she said. "Then neither do I condemn you," Jesus declared. "Go now and leave your life of sin."
- When Jesus spoke again to the people, he said, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
- The Pharisees challenged him, "Here you are, appearing as your own witness; your testimony is not valid."
- Jesus answered, "Even if I testify on my own behalf, my testimony is valid, for I know where I came from and where I am going.
- But you have no idea where I come from or where I am going.
- You judge by human standards; I pass judgment on no one.
- But if I do judge, my decisions are right, because I am not alone. I stand with the Father, who sent me.
- In your own Law it is written that the testimony of two men is valid.
- I am one who testifies for myself; my other witness is the Father, who sent me."
- Then they asked him, "Where is your father?" "You do not know me or my Father," Jesus replied. "If you knew me, you would know my Father also."
- He spoke these words while teaching in the temple area near the place where the offerings were put. Yet no one seized him, because his time had not yet come.
Tags: Today bible words, Bible subscription, Bible words